Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Aggravating Circumstances (Assessment 1)

The first aggravating situation arose during the first drift exercise, when the sound recordings didn’t happen as naturally as I had expected. I initially thought that if I had cleaned my ears out and stuck them towards the city, some noises would spark my interest and I would quickly be able to gather what I needed. This was however, not the case, as I spent most of the drift hunting for the slightest semblance of a unique sound. The relentless hum of a passing car and the sound of the wind on a crisp Milwaukee day made for a bizarre symphony of sounds and experiences, to say the least.


The second most aggravating part of the drift was during the second exercise, when I initially found nothing to film. I set out on my drift with a little too specific of an idea in my head, leading to the first hour of walking being a complete waste. I had (maybe) 30 seconds of footage and a handful of photos, knowing that something would have to change. Thankfully, I expanded my mind a little bit, and was able to get some interesting footage that may have strayed from my initial opinions.

No comments: