Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Calming Experiences (Assessment 2)

The first thought-provoked moment on my drift was when I found the sleeping bags underneath the Milwaukee River bridge on Locust. Although it wasn’t a calming experience in any way, it did make me appreciate some of the smaller things in life that I and others take for granted. Considering it took all of my will power to hold the microphone to the exposed air for more than a minute and a half, I felt more than sorry for the people who had to spend the night in the same exact spot.

One of the most peaceful moments of the drifts, my week, and the whole semester for that matter was during the second drift. I had taken my iPod along, considering I wanted to only think about the motion around me and not the sound, and it was nearly out of batteries when I started. By the time I made it to the beach, I noticed that the power supply appeared to be fully drained, yet it continued to play the music. For the first time all semester, I got to sit down (at the beach no less) and just stare out in to the distance, without a care in the world. Seeing the waves crash against the rock on the first beautiful day of the semester, mixed with the calming music and complete freedom that came with the drift set something off inside me. I spent a good hour and a half there, reflecting on the drift, the classes I took, and life in general. When I had finally completed my drift, and was a matter of feet from my apartment, my iPod finally decided to give out. This was 5 hours after I set out.

No comments: